Once you have set goals to achieve something, you will need to begin properly managing your time in order to work towards these goals. After you have created a To-Do list, you will next need to create a schedule which will allow you to complete all the important tasks within a given period of time.
No matter who you are, you will only have a certain amount of time to get something done. Setting up a schedule will allow you to develop a systematic time frame which will allow you to complete the project on time.
While most people are familiar with the concept of schedules, it is important to have knowledge of powerful methods that can be used to make sure a schedule is designed efficiently. In addition to this, it is important to make sure that whatever is on the schedule is followed. The use of a schedule is important for time management because it gives information on what can be done within a certain period of time, wise use of time, enough time to complete the most important things, and reserve time to deal with unexpected situations. In addition to these, a schedule prevent project participants from taking on more than what can be handled.
There are large numbers of devices available in the market that can be used to schedule important tasks. Choice is based on taste, budget, or style. From organizers to PDAs or softwares (for big projects) the device you choose should always have the same goals. The goal should be to create a schedule which will allow tasks to be completed within a given time frame. The device that you choose should easily allow you to create a schedule. In addition to obtaining a device that can allow you to create a schedule, it is also important to know when a schedule should be created.
Generally, a schedule should be produced at the start of each week or month. The time that you choose should be dependent on your tasks and the deadlines you have for completing them. To set aside a time, you will first want to decide when you want to begin working on a project. Once you have decided which times you want to work on the task, you will next need to decide which tasks are the most important. Typically, these will be the things you are judged on. This will require you to compare your schedule with your To-Do list. You will often find that your schedule and To-Do list will work together. It is difficult to have one without the other.
You will next want to develop an estimated completion time for each task. The estimated time that you list should be based on experience. If you have done a project before, it is likely you have a good estimate of the time it took you to complete it. No matter how much time you choose, you should always estimate that it will take longer than expected. The reason for this is that you may run into interruptions or unexpected situations which can slow you down. This is information is supported with facts that are based on mathematics. Studies show that the typical supervisor will not have more than six minutes in which they will have to deal with an interruption.
It is fairly easy to determine when you will be interrupted. When you estimate this into your completion time, it can allow you to alter your schedule in a way which will allow you to complete assignments within the deadline. Another thing you will want to reserve is called discretionary time. This is the time you will spend working on tasks which you consider to be priorities. Generally, after you have reserved time for other things on your schedule, you will have little time left over for discretionary time. This is where delegating tasks to others will become important.
Oracle's Primavera Project Planner (P3) is designed for planners and schedulers. Professional schedulers can create project plans, schedule resources with advanced levelling options, and interact with project data through PERT charts, bar charts, and time scale logic diagrams.
- Plan and schedule projects and resources
- Organize project dates for quick status reports
- Compare actual performance to original plans
Primavera Systems, Inc, (Owner of Primavera) was founded in May 1983 and was a private company based in Pennsylvania (USA).
In October 8, 2008, Oracle Corporation announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire Primavera. Before the deal closed, each company operated independently.
On January 1, 2009 Oracle Corporation took legal ownership of Primavera.
Pro-plan's Scheduling services rendered using Primavera Project Planner:
· Preparing Baseline or original schedule of work from project work package
· Adding and linking activities with relationships
· Estimating durations and assigning constraints.
· Calculate, review and identify critical path of a schedule.
· Defining and assigning codes and resources
· Organizing, filtering and printing layouts.
· Creating resource-driven schedules.
· Defining and setting resource calendars and unit rate limits.
· Reviewing resource profiles.
· Create Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
· Define project codes, additional activity codes and ID coding.
· Modify standard workweek and sequence of activities. Specify non-work days.
· Establish target plan and highlighting activities for updating.
· Compare current and target schedules. Schedule analysis.
· Estimate activity progress automatically and manually.
· Update task activities manually.
· Keeping activity logs.
· Customize activity columns, adjust timescales, format bars, show data on bars, summarize data print reports and graphics.
· Group activities into bands, sorting activities and outlining activities.
· Manage change, variances, criticality, relationships and revisions.
· Trace progress using progress line.
· Designate interim milestones.
· Remote sharing of project data: Send and receive E-mails to update a project in P3.
· Publishing HTML reports and layouts on an intranet or on a World Wide Web
· Change management and customizing presentation